Technologies do not exist in
The IIoT provides a way to get better visibility and insight into the plant operations and assets through integration of machine sensors, middleware, software, and backend cloud compute and storage systems. The business gains are achieved through operational efficiency gains and accelerated productivity, which results in reduced unplanned downtime and optimized efficiency, and thereby profits. It is focusing on a new strategy, which is customer centric product/service availability in market.
The key benefits of IIoT are Increased Profits, Increased Revenue Flows, Lower Operational Expenditures and Improvement in Operational Processes by Analytics.”
Gyan Prakash, Vice President – Enterprise IT, SCADA Geoinformatics
Why IIoT now?
Due to advancement in Technological & Social environment, IIoT demands now for following reasons:
• IT systems can now support widespread of business functions due to a fall in the costs of IT systems.
• Cloud computing solves the issues with remote data storage; In addition, Analytic tools provided by Cloud service providers results in process of massive amounts of information.
• The maturity and subsequent growth in networks solutions have enabled remote monitoring and control of assets.
• Cloud-computing model allows organizations to gather and analyze large amounts of data at low cost.
Key Opportunities of IIoT
The following sectors have some potential to harness the IIoT –
• IIoT in Water Treatment – Fresh-drinking water companies/ water-waste recycler companies can use the IIoT for remote asset management and predictive maintenance. By using a strategy of sensors, remote communication, and Big Data analytics, organization can anticipate equipment failures and respond quicker to any critical situation that may arise due to inclement weather.
• Inspection of Oil and Gas Lines – Using drones and autonomous vehicles to inspect Oil and Gas lines in inhospitable areas to using autonomous mining equipment. Organization can use an autonomous underwater vehicle to inspect sub-sea conditions. The unmanned vehicle travels around the ocean floor and monitors conditions for anything only by wave motion.• Health Care Industry – The best metric for a health care company to be judged is how long their patients survive in their tender care, so this is their focus—improving patient care. Hospitals can improve patient care via nonintrusive data collection, Big Data analytics, and intelligent systems. The improvements to health care come through not just the medical care staff but the initiatives of medical equipment manufacturers to miniaturize and integrate their equipment with the goal of achieving more wearable, reliable, integrated, and effective monitoring and analysis equipment. By making medical equipment smaller, multi-functional, and usable, efficiency is achievable through connecting intelligent devices to a patient’s treatment plan in order to deliver medication to the patient through smart drug delivery systems, which is more accurate and reliable.